Everyone loves a good snack, whether its 10am in the morning or 10pm at night, a little snack can’t go a miss. But what I’ve realised in the past 2 years, and what I get questioned on a lot of the time, is what are the best healthy/nutritious snacks to be having.
Like the majority of people, you probably eat 3 staple meals a day that fill you up; breakfast, lunch and dinner. But thats not the problem. The problem comes when you have the urge to snack on something between meals, and all you can see around you is a vending machine, unhealthy sugary snacks in the cupboards or the cupcakes on your co-wored desk at work…
So, I’ve decided to list some of the BEST healthy snacks to tired you over in-between meals.
- BANANA – Naturally prepackaged goodness you can take anywhere, with the added benefit of cramp-preventing potassium.
- INSTANT OATS – You can buy instant oats in most supermarkets, even flavoured ones! Its rich in magnesium, phosphorous and calcium, which are crucial for the health of your bones, nerve function and muscle development.
- CARROTS & HUMMUS – Not only are they delicious, 4 carrot sticks with hummus will provide 5g of fibre, meaning you won’t go hungry for a while.
- NUT BUTTER PACKS – If you love nut butters (like myself), the little squeeze nut butter packs will be a delicious snack for you. You can buy the single-serving packs of nut butter from a variety of stores now, still including all the favourites like peanut, almond and cashew. They are rich in healthy fats, protein and a number of important minerals. Look for options with the least amount of added sugar.
- IN-SHELL PISTACHIOS – Experts have found that when people bought in-shell pistachios, they were less likely to over-consume the delicious nuts as you have to work that little harder to open the nut, rather than simply just eating them up-front.
- WALNUTS – With only 4g of carbs per ounce, walnuts can be a great snack to help you through a low carb diet, with the added benefit of being rich in healthy omega 3 fatty acids.
- CELERY – Some people love it, some people hate it. But with celery being 95% water, it will be no surprise that they are extremely low in carbohydrates, making it a great low-carb snack. Add to a salad or get yourself some hummus/nut butter for the snack thats very nutritious, but low in belly bloating.
- STRAWBERRIES – Among other berries such as blueberries and blackberries, strawberries supply the least amount of sugar, roughly 11g per cup. This makes them the perfect snack to satisfy that sugar tooth.
- HARD BOILED EGG – Eggs are a great source of protein, with the white of the egg being full of BCAAs (brand-chained amino acids), the most anabolic amino acid in the human body. Therefore, your plain and simple hard boiled egg is a great muscle building grab and go snack.
- GREEK YOGURT – The deliciously thick yogurt that cannot go amiss! Greek yogurt contains approximately 23g of protein per cup serving. Add fruit, cinnamon, nuts and seeds etc. to fill you up for a little longer.
- COTTAGE CHEESE – This specific cheese is full of casein protein, with about 28g per cup. Casein is a slow-digesting protein, supplying your growing muscles with a steady supply of vital amino acids. It’s great to have before bed time!
- DARK CHOCOLATE – Yes… you read that right, chocolate! If you’re in need of a munchie that feels a bit indulgent, dark chocolate is your winner. Dark chocolate is at least 60% cocoa content. Alongside its ability to favourably influence metabolism through polyphenol antioxidants, it has been known to reduce heart disease and lower body fat numbers.
So there you have 12 healthy snacks to enjoy throughout the day!