Herbal teas will always be one of my favourite warm beverages. Besides being delicious, warming, a caffeine-free pick me up, herbal teas have countless benefits. This could be anything from soothing an anxious mind before bed, to curing a troubled tummy. Drinking herbal teas has also been proven great source of both vitamins and minerals.
What is Herbal Tea?
Herbal tea isn’t actually made form tea itself, it is a mixture of infused seeds, leaves, roots or bark, extracted in hot water. When we consume these type of beverages, we get all the plant’s benefits in a simple digestible form.
5 herbal teas that will make you healthier!
- Green Tea
Green tea is the healthiest beverage on the planet. If that isn’t enough to make you want to drink it everyday, I don’t know what is! Green tea is jam packed with antioxidants and nutrients, all of which have powerful effects on the body. By containing the following: B vitamins, folate (naturally occurring folic acid), manganese, potassium, magnesium, caffeine and other antioxidants, it is inevitable that there will be incredible benefits to follow, such as improved brain function.
- Increases fat burn (increase metabolic rate) and improve physical performance
- Green tea has powerful antioxidants that may protect against cancer.
- The catechins in green tea can reduce the growth of bacteria and some viruses. Therefore, lowering the risk of infections and lead to improvements in dental health.
- Helps to regulate glucose levels, slowing the rise of blood sugar after eating, therefore reducing the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
It is recommended to drink peppermint tea to relieve the symptoms of abdominal gas and bloating, and this too relieves the pain of muscle spasms if you are prone to them.
- Relieve stress
- Increased concentration
- A proven appetite suppressant, therefore peppermint can help with weight loss.
- Sinus relief
A gentle comforting and sedative tea made from flowers. Chamomile tea is known for its ability to help sufferers of insomnia because of its calming properties. The dynamic fixing in chamomile key oil is known as bisabolol, which has various hostile to aggravation, calming, and against microbial properties.
- Migraine treatment
- Stomach pain treatment
- Relives menstrual cramps
- Promotes healthy skin
Another fantastic digestive aid is ginger tea. Ginger can be used to limit nausea, vomiting or upset stomach due to motion sickness. Ginger root is extremely beneficial to your health, with high levels of Vitamin C, magnesium and other minerals.
- Improves stomach performance/feelings of nausea
- Improve blood circulation
- Helps to relieve stress and tension
Milk Thistle and Dandelion Tea
Milk thistle or dandelion are gentle liver cleansers. So if you have had a couple of drinks over the weekend and want to settle your stomach, both ingredients help the liver to regenerate and function at a higher capacity.
- Aids digestion
- Promotes healthy livers and gallbladders.
- The leaves of dandelions are thought to have a diuretic effect.
- Dandelion may also help improve the immune system
I drink at least one of the above teas every single day, and they really are full of wonderful health benefits.
If you want to check out my favourite, and trusted tea brands, click on the links below: